Even if you’re not a fitness buff, you must have heard about the workout called Pilates. The exercise is designed to stabilize and strengthen one’s core.
Pilates have gained popularity and has become a staple in weight-loss programs both in gym and in home thanks to the best Pilates DVDs. Many celebrities all over world rave about its effectiveness of what looks like an easy workout, but in fact, requires a lot of precision and control.
If you’re interested in trying out Pilates or, if you’re an advanced student looking to find the right Pilates DVD for you to use at home during your workout, you’ve come to the right place. We are reviewing 12 best Pilates DVDs for you.
Pilates And Your Health
If you enroll in a Pilates class, it usually is a 45-minute to an hour long class. Beginners are required to do less moves in less time until they get familiar with the different movements executed. The workout focuses on the core, but it will also strengthen and tone your arms and legs.
Through various positions and movements, you can activate the core and learn how to control their extremities to execute precise movements. Pilates isn’t primarily a weight loss workout, although you’ll be sweating more than you’d think. The workout is designed to help you become stronger, increase your stamina, gain flexibility and help you get those sculpted muscles you have always wanted.
Following a Pilates DVD workout on an exercise mat at home is a simple and yet effective way to workout minus the gym memberships. For people who don’t have a fixed schedule or have little time to go to the gym on a regular basis, Pilates DVD workout is the way to go. Simply roll out your exercise mat and play your Pilates DVD workout to follow along in the comforts of your home.
Best Pilates DVD Comparison Guide
|Pilates DVD||Run Time||Difficulty Level||Actors|
|Pilates for Beginners |
with Kristin McGee
|60 minutes||Beginner||Kristin McGee|
|Denise Austin: Mat Workout |
Based on the Work of J.H. Pilates
|52 minutes||Beginner||Denise Austin|
|Pop Pilates Total Body Workout||60 minutes||Intermediate - Advanced||Cassey Ho|
|Pilates – Beginning Mat Workout||60 minutes||Beginner||Ana Caban|
|Element: Pilates Weight Loss for Beginners||51 minutes||Beginner||Brooke Siler|
|Winsor Pilates Basic 3 DVD Workout Set||112 minutes||Beginner - Advanced||Mari Winsor|
|Pilates For Beginners & Beyond||360 minutes||Beginner - Advanced||Various Actors|
|STOTT Pilates Advanced Reformer||170 minutes||Advanced||John Garey|
|New York Style Pilates: Level 3 – Advanced||60 minutes||Advanced||Jonathan Urla|
|Lara Hudson 10 Minute Solutions: Pilates||10 Minutes||Beginner - Intermediate||Lara Hudson|
|STOTT PILATES Extreme Pilates -|
Strength and Agility on the Mat
|87 minutes||Intermediate - Advanced||John Garey|
|Weight Loss Pilates with Kristin McGee||50 minutes||Intermediate - Advanced||Kristin McGee|
Buyers’ Guide to Choosing the Best Pilates DVD
You will want to buy the best Pilates DVD that suits your requirements. The DVD isn’t expensive, but you shouldn’t waste cash on a workout that isn’t suited to your level of workout. The number of choices can be overwhelming since there are a lot claiming to be the best Pilates DVD out there.
When you choose a DVD, you can always check out the labels whether it’s for Beginners, Intermediate and Expert. The setting should also be one you find interesting. The author of the workout is another consideration since you want expert Pilates trainers to be teaching you the movements on your go-to Pilates DVD.
Best Pilates DVD Review
We have come up with a list of DVDs worth checking out and have reviewed them for you as well.
This is a great Beginners level Pilates workout that mixes body-sculpting movements to help you achieve better posture, sleek physique and improve strength. The DVD is an hour long with the beginners’ program is designed with two 10 minute workouts and two 20 minute workouts that can be mixed together to create a more challenging Pilates workout as you progress.
Duration: 60 minutes total
- The workout is divided into 4 segments, all easy to follow. In one segment, a beginner will be taught the basic mat techniques.
- Kristin McGee gives step by step instructions on how to execute each movement. Each of the movements are explained, so that you know why you’re doing a specific movement and what benefits you’ll get from it.
- By following the workout video properly, you can expect a tighter body, toned muscles, increased flexibility and stamina and more.
- It isn’t particularly designed to make you lose weight, but you’ll get a slimmer appearance and healthier body after only weeks of following the video.
- This workout DVD is for beginners. Advanced Pilates students will find the program too easy and not appropriately challenging.
With 8 Bonus Moves and tips in working out, you are sure to get your money’s worth with this video.
The author of this program is none other than Kristin McGee. She is a Pilates master instructor at Reebok, The Sports Club LA and more. She is very passionate about helping everyone enjoy the benefits of this type of exercise. And through this video, you can start your Pilates journey with its easy to follow instructions. Learn all the Pilates mat techniques and movement needed to tone and strengthen your entire body.
This is probably one of the best Pilates DVD out there although it is rather old. Pilates aficionados claim this is good for people who have been banned from running, jumping, turning quickly or those with spinal cord issues – but still prefer to lead a healthy lifestyle.
The program is based off of the teachings of Joseph Humbert Pilates. As a child, he was sickly and suffered from asthma, rickets and rheumatic fever. He was quite determined to become stronger and healthier. Studying anatomy, gymnastics, Western exercise, Zen and Yoga – he developed Pilates incorporating various elements of other body strengthening regimens.
Duration: 52 minutes
- This is a timeless classic that people buy to replace old copies they have.
- It follows the teachings of JH Pilates closely compared to other programs.
- The workout program does not require you to spend too much time working out.
- The movements and positions are relatively easy, but challenging at the same time.
- Even people aged 60 and up can use this DVD as their Pilates workout guide.
- The program itself is fun, with Denise Austin perky and positive as an instructor.
- There are more modern Pilates DVD workouts to try, however, this remains a staple in many people’s workout.
Denise Austin is an author and a well-respected fitness instructor. She teaches yoga and Pilates to people who want to develop strength, balance, flexibility, proper breathing and focus. She believes that step-by-step instructions work better in teaching the proper execution of a Pilates workout which makes it all the more effective.
Austin also believes that anyone can do Pilates no matter their age. She believes that we should stay fit naturally, practice portion control instead of skipping meals and exercise for 30 minutes daily.
If you’ve heard about POP Pilates and curious to learn how it works, or if you are looking for new ways to become fit and healthy, this is the DVD for you. The usual workout routine can get repetitive and boring. This is why it is a great idea to find an alternative to keep things interesting.
You probably know by now that Pilates was developed by JH Pilates. This type of exercise combines yoga and martial arts to increase strength, flexibility, improve coordination, posture and stamina. All you need to start doing Pilates are a mat and a positive attitude.
A popular type or Pilates is the Pop Pilates. This workout involves music playing loudly while doing the routines you would do in a regular Pilates class. There is no specific music to play, it will depend primarily on the preference of the participants and instructor. It could be the latest pop hits or any upbeat music to keep everyone’s spirits up.
If you’re interested in Pilates but want to have some fun while you’re at it, try Pop Pilates instead. Pop Pilates Total Body Workout with Casey Ho is a great alternative to the serious Pilates DVD you may already have.
Duration: 60 minutes
- Compared to the first two DVDs listed, this is a newer video and a more modern take on Pilates.
- Pop Pilates is fun to say the least, and this DVD will show you how Pilates can be such an interesting workout.
- Casey Ho knows how to keep every viewer’s spirits up.
- The music is perfect to motivate you to complete the entire workout.
- It’s a whole body workout with a lean and fit end result.
- If you’re a strict believer of the JH Pilates School, you are going to be out of your element working out with loud music.
Casey Ho is a YouTube Fitness Star and a certified fitness instructor as well. Her bubbly personality is fun and will keep you entertained all throughout the 60- minute workout video.
This DVD is a great way to start learning about mat workouts Pilates-style. Many of the movements in Pilates can put stress on joints and bones which is why working out with an exercise mat is practiced. In this DVD, Ana Caban teaches her viewers body sculpting routines using the mat and it is great for all beginners.
Duration: 60 minutes
- Ana Caban is a great instructor who will keep the entire routine interesting and motivational.
- The level is perfect for beginners who are learning how to use the exercise mat.
- Every movement is taught step by step and explained as well, what it targets and what you can achieve with it.
- The DVD targets Pilates beginners only and maybe some slightly advanced practitioners.
It is worth noting that Ana Caban is a well-respected fitness and Peak Pilates instructor. The ‘Good Life Guru’ is an inspiration to many. She teaches how everyone can lead a balanced, healthy and good life.
Caban is one of the leading fitness experts in the US and has sold over 4,000,000 of her award-winning fitness DVDs.
If you are new to Pilates and want to workout because you want to lose weight, you need to give this DVD workout a try. The program is designed to burn calories while Pilates works it benefits such as toning muscles, strengthening your core and improving flexibility. Basically, it is a combination of cardio-focused exercises plus mat Pilates.
You can expect that after a couple of weeks of following the video workout, you have developed focus, control and precision and have sweat our fats and pounds. And it isn’t hard to stay tuned to this workout with the beautiful location they chose. With a view overlooking the Pacific Ocean, you won’t get bored or tired of watching this Pilates workout DVD.
Duration: 51 minutes
- Location is just breathtakingly beautiful, it will keep audiences hooked to the video and the routine because it is just pleasing to the eyes.
- The workout is composed of gently and low impact movements perfect for beginners.
- The routine is designed to strengthen, tone and slim down your whole body.
- The low impact routine does not fit the requirements of all Pilates practitioners. This video targets beginners only.
Brooke Siler is the author and instructor of this workout video. She is a second generation Pilates instructor who worked with Madonna and Kirsten Dunst just to name a few. She also authored a New York Times Best-Seller book series.
This Pilates video workout is composed of three discs that is designed to sculpt the body faster than any Pilates workout available or any routine for that matter.
Disc 1 contains the basics of Pilates and the seven exercises considered the foundation of all Pilates workouts, applicable for beginners, intermediate and advanced. It also includes a 3D training that will help viewers learn the proper form and breathing easily.
Disc 2 is 26 minutes long and contains a 20 minute workout that you are supposed to execute daily to sculpt and slim your body. 20 minutes a day will not affect your busy schedule and this means you can’t make any excuses not to do them daily. The fast but powerful routine aims to tighten and tone your buttocks and thighs. It also works your core muscles and helps you get a flatter stomach.
Disc 3 is a 57 minute DVD that contains a total body workout called the Accelerated Body Sculpting. It aims to shrink, tone and strengthen every area of your body. It gives you the benefits of Pilates, core strengthening, improved flexibility, improved stamina and a sculpted body.
- The comprehensive Pilates workout is divided into specific parts perfectly. You can stay focused on your fitness goals better when your workout routine gives you the particular results you are aiming for.
- The sequencing is very effective for muscle toning and weight loss.
- Second DVD in the set is rather short, but the workout is intense and perfect for intermediate to expert levels.
- Not all the discs are suited for beginners or those with muscle injuries except for the first DVD.
Mari Winsor, the author and instructor of this Pilates DVD is a widely known, highly respected Pilates instructor. She is credited for popularizing and making Pilates accessible to the public.
Winsor’s innovative signature workout is the “dynamic sequencing,” based on Joseph Pilates teachings. In this video, Mari Winsor breaks down each of the movements step-by-step so that viewers will understand what it is for and how to properly execute it. This DVD is perfect for outdoor exercise locations, if you have a portable DVD player.
Another 3 DVD set, this Pilates workout DVD allows you to start learning the workout and progress at your pace.
Disc 1 is Pilates for Inflexible People, Disc 2 is Pilates for Weight Loss and Disc 3 is Pilates for Sculpting and Toning your body. The DVD set contains over 40 routines that will suit your needs, be it weight loss or toning. It is great for beginners because even if you consider yourself stiff and unable to do the Pilates positions you often see, this program will allow you to ease yourself into learning how to be flexible enough for Pilates.
Duration: 360 minutes
- Customized routines cater to different needs.
- Contains a wide range of poses that are taught and modified to help both beginner and intermediate students.
- Includes yoga sections
- Routines are suitable for beginners, intermediate and expert Pilates practitioners.
- Contains 15 customized mat workouts.
- Contains wide range of routines designed to lose weight or sculpt the body.
- Has menus that allow you to select a workout that fits your scheduling and physical needs.
- One common comment about this DVD set is that there are specific routines where the instructor gives you the base and you are expected to do it on your own without the video. Aside from this format there are no other issues we can discuss about the program.
A DVD program for Advanced Pilates workout, STOTT Pilates contains a whopping 57 exercises in total.
In case you are unfamiliar with STOTT PILATES® it is Pilates with emphasis on using equipment. Referred to as biomechanical principles, this type of Pilates have specific exercises that require a higher degree of strength, balance and coordination. It is more for advanced and expert levels.
There are equipment needed to execute this program such as the Reformer Box, Platform Extender, maple pole, 3 lb. Toning Balls, Mat and Gripper Mat.
- Advanced and expert level Pilates practitioners will find this DVD useful in upping the ante of their workout regimen.
- STOTT’s advanced mat exercises burns calories, sculpts and tones the muscles and helps develop balance and inner strength like no other.
- The sequence of exercises in the STOTT system does not put too much pressure on the back compared to the classic Pilates.
- This is not for beginners.
- STOTT does not have some of the advanced movements of Classical Pilates, so a combination of both is suggested for those who want a full Pilates experience.
- The DVD does not allow skipping chapters and turning off the commentary.
This program is an advanced Pilates workout. What sets it apart from the other programs or DVDs in this list is that it combines the principles of Yoga with Pilates and even coining a term for it – Yogilates.
- This Pilates DVD is perfect for those looking for a more high intensity workout.
- Combining effective Pilates with the short but intense routines works best for those who lead an active lifestyle.
- The combination of yoga and Pilates improves flexibility and stamina. It’s also a great way to change up the usual Pilates routines.
- Since it is for level 3 Pilates practitioners, you cannot introduce Pilates with this DVD to beginners.
In essence, Pilates does incorporate yoga in the workout, with Joseph Pilates studying different fitness regimen to develop Pilate. But Jonathan Urla, the author of this New York Style Pilates, took it a step or two further.
Urla is a Pilates Instructor, ACE Certified Medical Exercise Specialist and a Vinyasa Yoga teacher. His expertise in Pilates and Yoga has helped people for over 25 years now. Being a former athlete, professional dancer, Johnathan Urla studied both Yoga and Pilates to strengthen his body.
Eventually, he developed a refined approach to Pilates that turned popular and recognized as effective. He was able to explain complex ideas in a straight forward manner that allowed more to understand the benefits of Pilates. He unified the methods and created Yogilates in 1997 to allow others to achieve optimal fitness and health.
The fusion became sensational and Urla became a household name after several magazine and television features when it comes to fitness and health. If you purchase the New York Style Level 3 Advanced Pilates, you can expect clear instructions, effective workouts and eventually, a healthier and fitter body.
This Pilates DVD workout is the solution to many career-driven folks who lack of time to exercise. Even if you only have ten minutes to spare, you can still grab your Pilates mat and start working on strengthening your body and sculpting your muscles. In just five to ten minutes, a complete Pilates routine can be completed daily.
- Each segment showcases the basic essence of Pilates, teaching you control, breathing and core conditioning.
- There are easy to challenging positions and movements, making it suitable for beginners to intermediate Pilates students.
- Routines are divided according to the muscle groups they target. The first three focus on the abs, buns and thighs and so on.
- It is a total body workout in just ten minutes with the other segments making you do fast and flowing movements and stretching afterwards.
- Lara Hudson the instructor in the video makes it easy for everyone to follow the routine. She talks to you one-on-one and speaks very clearly too.
- Hudson also gives out helpful reminders about little things you can do to achieve maximum results.
- Only disadvantage we can point out is the need for 2 to 3 lbs. dumbbells.
This STOTT’s routine is for more intermediate and expert Pilates students. A mat workout, this routine focuses on strengthening and stabilizing your arms and legs as well as your core. Perfect for fitness aficionados, this workout routine can help you retrain your muscles, prevent injury, improve strength, agility and coordination.
Duration: 87 minutes
- Workout level is advanced and perfect for those looking for a more intense workout.
- Contains 59 exercises.
- Targets the entire body from shoulders to legs.
- Not for beginners.
- Only requires a mat, so if you have other Pilates equipment, you won’t be needing them.
The instructor in this video is John Gary. He is a Master Instructor Trainer for Merrithew™ and specializes in STOTT Pilates, athletic conditioning and performance training.
The program is designed to help you lose weight. McGee encourages you to do Pilates and eat healthy as well. That’s why this DVD workout comes with a free “Eat Smart” booklet. It contains tips and recipes for you to try at home. Cook yourself a nutritious and delicious meal while making sure you’re going to lose weight with recipes featured in Cooking Light.
Duration: 50 minutes
- The program is simple, but has all the tools needed for you to achieve your weight loss goals.
- Fuses classical Pilates with other calorie-burning cardio exercises.
- Following the routine allows you to burn calories and tone muscles at the same time.
- Comes with a bonus section called Ab Blast.
- Offers a safe, effective and efficient way to get in shape fast.
- People who are looking for an extensive Pilates workout will want to try other DVDs.
The author of this Pilates workout DVD is Kristin McGee. Again, she is a master instructor, teaches at Reebok, The Sports Club LA and more.
Allow her to show you the wonderful benefits of Pilates. She will teach you step-by-step in an easy to learn manner. Many users comment that Kristin’s vibrant personality is the true bonus of her Pilates DVDs.
Her natural charisma and positivity will allow you to remain motivated all throughout the workout. And if she’s practicing what she preaches then everyone should give this ten minute workout a go.